Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Outside Reading Blog 1

I’m reading "A thousand splendid suns" and I read pages 113-138. In the pages i read the book switched main characters from Mariam which the book started out with to now Lalia her next door neighbor’s daughter. Lalia is 9yrs old and she already has a bunch of tasks to accomplish each day, "Lalia washed Mammy's dresses and changed her sheets. She coaxed her out of bed for baths and meals. She was the one who ironed Babi's shirts and folded his pants. Increasingly, she was the cook". Not only does Lalia have to clean and cook she has to go to school on top of all that, but Lalia's father influences her with her studies. Lalia's mother is going through a rough due to losing her only two sons to the war. When I was 9 all I had to do was barley clean my room and go to school I never thought of cleaning my entire house and cooking for my whole family, I’m 15 and that still seems like pretty though task but I guess she was born into it so its kind of a job. My book is basically about women and there rights and that was a great example of women's struggle.

No comments: